On the Clients List, any unresolved clients will pop up a page from the IEEE’s OUI (Organizational Unique Identifier) database if you click on the MAC address, i.e. This is nice when looking at connections on the router and wondering which clients they represent. While the lookup doesn’t provide a device’s actual name, the OUI Lookup will show the vendor that the MAC address belongs to. But Merlin isn’t just about bugfixing; Eric has added a few features, too.
Sometimes, the line between firmware and an operating system is blurred, and you can call the two interchangeably. For example, the firmware of Synology routers or Netgear’s gaming ones is so advanced that folks call those operating systems. Specifically, the firmware has low-level — more direct and crude — access to the hardware. It’s geeky and closely related to a device’s physical components. Every tech gadget or electronics has to run on a piece of software.
- Asus Stock rom– If you Want to Download Asua Device Stock Rom Firmware file any Asus Phone model than Go to Asus Stock rom.
- That’s valid for pretty much any kind of tech product out there.
- I haven’t spent a lot of time in the past rooting devices, as I never felt much of a need, but with the ZenFone 2 – despite being as fast as it is – firmware I wanted to slim things down.
- Now the flashing will automatically start on your device.
- All you need to do is extract the payload.bin file (which you find inside the ROM zip file).
just to ascertain whether you feel comfortable or are getting over your head. If you are running any custom ROM, jump to the next step. This tutorial is based on the official ASUS unlock tool that only works under stock Android L. Migrations from stock M are know to have issues with both sim cards not being detected. If you are running Android M you can downgrade (links below provided). Custom ROMs bring out a new experience to your mobile devices.
- Read Me Once
- If you want to get rid of those apps, and don’t mind driving down the path of rooting, the process is simple overall.
- AsusWRT-Merlin is an alternative to AsusWRT, the name of the firmware developed by Asus for use on all their recent routers.
- To double-check that your phone is prepped for rooting, you can double-click the ‘CheckBeforeAction’ after the phone is plugged in.
- If you see errors about adb being unable to pull the files, adb may not be in the path of execution.
- If you have more devices on your network than ports on your router, you can connect a switch to your router to expand the number of ports.
The point is you need to remember where you put this firmware file. And that brings us to how you can put Merlin on your supported router today. In short, there’s no risk in using Merlin if you don’t mess up the firmware migration process or expect tech support from Asus. Still, remember that mixing hardware of different versions, let alone variants, will likely result in unexpected issues. Here is the list of current Asus routers, at publication time, that you can put Merlin on — click on the link to read their reviews.